Monday, December 5, 2011

magpie tale #94.....

I watched as she glanced up and stared at herself in the lunchroom mirror,a brief realization
of self, and then she looked away downward, biting into her sandwich. She becoming one with the rest of the humans passing life away eating their lunch, lost somewhere in thought. Maybe they know that their fellow comrades in this endeavor are suffering loss,disillusionment,want,heartbreak or loneliness, and they have not one ounce of concern left to give to them, for their own plate at this meal of the spirit is full of fear and regret and a mounting heap of unpaid bills. Who has nourishment to share when ones own cupboard has only a morsel of dried bread?
 The occasional sounds of shifting waxed paper or the crushing of a paper bag are the only interruptions that bring a brief respite from all this gloom. I feel like an interloper as I scan the room looking for interaction of any kind...an opportunity to break into their solitary worlds..to ask if there is a Mr. Cronin in the room. No one looks up,and I am glad that he is not here...or if he is...I won't be the one to tell him that his wife has passed away. As I ask one more time...the woman that I saw look into the mirror for a brief second...  looks up another brief second at me..then looks back down. I think she knows something, but she prefers the world she was in.

#94

12 comments:

  1. What an interesting vignette - I'd like to hear more about the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shivers...she knows but prefers to stay numb...ugh, nice twist on the scene with having to tell one of a loved ones death...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad for the one person who looked up
    at least the herd mentality got broken for a second or two! Great insert about her reason for being there, not fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A chilling and brilliant piece Suz! Lovely writing as always! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I feel like an interloper" nailed the feeling! (I strike up conversations with people in trains and am usually surprised at how willing most are to chat).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You added yet another perspective here, and it sends chills down our spine. Loneliness, despair, and now an unbearable loss delivered so matter-of-fact to one person who is indistinguishable among the suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So intriguing and wonderful. I love the non-linear feel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work always produces emotion. You have such a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Not one ounce of concern left"...that really says it all...talk about disconnect!

    ReplyDelete

If you have landed in my tree..give me a chirp,fluff your feathers...drop... me a comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...