Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Magpie Tale # 16




hosts a weekly writing prompt


Using the below photo
write a vignette or poem


The evening over, her married life begining, I sit in the kitchen to gather my thoughts with a cup of hot tea.
Never again will she enter my home as before. I cast a glance at the pair of brown sling back shoes that she left here after last night's rehearsal dinner at Fortuna's. She never was good at putting her shoes away. But now I am happy to see them laying there, a moment frozen in time,one shoe on top of the other. I can see her using her right foot to slip off the other.
Before she went up the stairs last night she turned to me and started crying and came over to hug me, no words spoken,but we talked with our hearts, as mother's and daughter's can do so easily. Our hug melted into a hold and neither one of us wanted to let go.
I lift the hot cup of tea to my lips and think of her first pair of MaryJanes,then hold the cup to my mouth breathing my breath into it crying softly, letting go.


.

22 comments:

  1. A captured moment in time for us to see. A familar moment to be sure. (I've cried a few times looking at the kids' things all over the floor, but I fear its not the same as this mother's tears, if you know what I mean.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crusty crone...oh yes a moment...so many moments as a mother..knowing this will all change and be gone and different..as it should be..but it is a moment for sure...to held and pondered in the heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why welcome Sue J..and thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, children leaving home...a good, empty sad feeling...in these few words I was brought back to my time of tears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Blue Sky Dreaming...a good empty sad feeling..well said

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reached in, grabbed my heart and gave it a squeeze. My daughter's not married, but she's been living far from home for many years now. It was hard, indeed, to let her go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a private mystery of the heart

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, suz! your magpie brought tears to my eyes, knowing full well that those words are true! my daughter has been on her own for 8 years now and she still enters my house as if she is a guest. not in a bad way, but i've imagined she has made a boundary line for herself?
    there is nothing like a cup of tea and a cry...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes. Your writing is so filled with emotion. I really, really like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Letting go seems to be the key to everything...lovely post..thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely response to the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Passing milestone that is known but can't be shared. Hope and loss in one. Beautifully expressed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is where my mind and heart are headed right now. Life's like that, right? Very sweet piece, Suz.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully put! And thanks for coming out of the weeds and posting your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you tug at my heart again. my eyes are stinging until i remember *it is a story* - enjoy instead of cry! lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Suz, again, very good:)
    But do they come in red?
    And it was the computer that suffered a breakdown, I'm over mine;)
    So good to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have captured a mother's heart perfectly. I dread this day. The letting go is so very hard.

    ReplyDelete

If you have landed in my tree..give me a chirp,fluff your feathers...drop... me a comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...