Friday, October 9, 2009

In an old notebook

She Gave at the Post Office

Her coat made out of sofa threads
a beige and brownie tweed
She looked so fragile standing there
She looked like so much need
Her hat a folded hankie scarf
tied tightly at her chin
She turned around and spoke to me
with a humble tiny grin
"Oh go ahead in front of me
you must be rushed tonight"
Her body moving gracefully
to give her widow's mite

The only clue I  have of this poem is the word "thread" written on the top of the page, which leads me to believe it was a poetry group where we picked a word out of basket and had to write a poem from that word.
It's amazing what I'm finding hidden in my study. Maybe I'll find the missing travel paints.

3 comments:

  1. Nice poem, like the rhyming. You painted a wonderful picture of the woman with words.
    I remember Marianne's poetry group at the Center, the basket word we picked out. I wrote one of my best poems that day, amazing how one word can trigger a story!Perhaps it was the pressure of getting it written quickly. Who knows?
    Glad you took this out of hiding to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. more hugs for you Bevie girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this too! I was there! Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete

If you have landed in my tree..give me a chirp,fluff your feathers...drop... me a comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...